Saturday, October 4, 2014

Insider #4

Dan:
I'm happy that Tiger Leader's wrapping up and I'll be setting Kevin on Israeli Air force Leader when we've sent this out. The Tiger Leader Kickstarter will also be coming up soon, and I'm hoping for some fun stretch goals with metal counters, and miniatures for the units! In other news, we're in contact with the molding company, and things are looking good.

Kevin:
Besides minor number adjustments, Tiger is looking to be all set and done! I've played a few campaigns now, and they've all been running smoothly, I'm looking forward to seeing this go off to the printer soon! Other than Tiger, some Modern Land Battles play testing, and Dan is showing me how to write a rule book, which is a lot more difficult than I would have thought. Always writing in active voice, and having each and every sentence say exactly one idea is a challenge, but I enjoy learning this! J Bad news on Warfighter and Counter-Trays though, we STILL haven't gotten our games from port.

Holly:
Well, it's been an exciting couple of days. I heroically handed over the Tiger rules for proofing with a smile on my face and a sense of accomplishment in my heart. The reactions from Dan and Kevin were a combination of nervous throat clearing and side-ways glances. Turns out, SEVERAL parts of the game changed in the last few days. For example, the information on the Campaign cards and the information on the Objective cards (which, last week were called Situation cards) completely changed around.
Do you want to choose Commanders for your Campaign? Well you can't! Because everything I wrote about doing that is different. No problem, I'll just hunker down and start re-typing.

Then, tonight, Dan and I sat down for a fun game of Modern Land Battles. The game is just about done. The rulebook was complete a week ago, with a few finishing touches going in here and there.
Then, during the game, Dan stopped playing and stared at the table for a few seconds. I've seen that look before. It usually comes after a game has been declared "just about done".
His head tilted a bit to the left…then a bit to the right. Finally, he said…"huh". Then, "hmmm". Then he picked up a Terrain card and looked at it for a few seconds, and put it back down.
"What if we change the Terrain cards to do *this*?"
We discussed it for a while, moved cards around, changed the idea a bit and decided to try it.
Then…
"What if we change Maneuvering to do *this other thing*?"
Discussion, discussion.
"…and what if we change our battle rows to better reflect movement *this way*?"
He was getting excited now.
We played the game with the new ideas and…Dang It! It was a better way to go.

Looks like I'll be re-writing both the Tiger and MLB rulebooks. Wish me luck.









2 comments:

  1. Hey Dan, who made the Tiger Leader art? Is it the final?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several different artists contributed. Yes, this is final.

    ReplyDelete